MCCulloch, Paul, PTL

 Police Photo   Service Details
8 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary Specialty
PK9-Patrol K-9 Unit
Primary Unit
1955-1964 Saint Louis Metropolitan Police Department, MO/ Patrol Unit
Previously Held Specialties
PTL-Patrol Unit
Service Years
1955 - 1964

 Official Badges 

U.S. Marine Corps Veteran Pin

 Police Awards and Commendations 
Federal Awards
Not Specified
Departmental Awards
Not Specified

 Other Languages 
Not Specified
 Prior Military Service 
US Marine Corps (1950-1951)

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

This Fallen Police Profile is not currently maintained by any Member. If you would like to take responsibility for researching and maintaining this Fallen profile please click HERE

This Remembrance Profile was originally created by PTL Donald Kricho (Don) - Deceased
Casualty Info
End of Watch
Jul 02, 1964
Cause of Death

 Badge Display
 Unit Assignments
Saint Louis Metropolitan Police Department
  1955-1964 Saint Louis Metropolitan Police Department, MO/ Patrol Unit
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity:

On July 2, 1964, Canine Officer Paul McCulloch, while on his way to work, stopped to assist other officers at the Pruit-Igoe housing complex. Officer McCulloch was fatally shot by the kidnapping suspect, who was the focus of the incident, and who had previously shot another police officer who intervened in the kidnapping.


On July 2, 1964, at 6:30 p.m., Marilyn Morris was seated in her automobile in front of the Food Fair Super Market located at 814 North Leffingwell.  She was waiting to drive her mother, who owned the store, home.  As she waited, Eddie C. Glenn got into her car.  Displaying a knife, Glenn said, "Don't make a sound, drive straight."  As Morris drove, she tried to attract attention by honking her horn, but no one came to her aid.  For the next hour, Glenn forced her to drive around the northern portion of the city.

Glenn looked through her purse for money to buy drugs, but she had only $4.00 plus change.  He took a diamond ring from her finger.  Morris repeatedly tried to alert others to her situation, including a service station attendant when they stopped for gas.  No one realized her predicament.

Officer Robert Steel, suspicious about the car, pulled it to the curb at Twentieth Street and Carr.  As the officer approached the vehicle on the driver's side, Marilyn Morris jumped from the car and ran.  Officer Steele pointed his revolver at Glenn and told him to get out of the car.  Glenn lunged at Steele.  Officer Steele fired, hitting Glenn in the shoulder.  Glenn grabbed the officer's gun with both hands, preventing the cylinder from turning.  During the struggle, Glenn gained possession of the gun.  Officer Steele ran toward his patrol ccar to call for help. Glenn fired two shots at him.

While Officer Steele called for help, Glenn ran onto the grounds of the Pruitt-Igoe Housing Project.  After Officer Steele radioed for help, he collapsed in the street. The call went out as "police officer in need of aid, supposedly shot."

Patrolmen Ronald Pott and Ralph Atkins heard the radio call and responded to the scene.  They saw Officer Steele lying in the street covered with blood.  Officer Pott went after Glenn, while Officer Atkins stayed to help Officer Steele.  Steele, though not seriously injured, was dazed from the scuffle.

Officer Pott and Glenn exchanged shots as they ran through the areaways between the buildings of Pruitt-Igoe.  A short time later, Canine Officer Paul McCulloch, on his way to work, arrived at the scene.  McCulloch and Pott decided to circle the buildings from opposite sides and head off Glenn.  Soon after the officers parted, Officer Pott heard a gunshot.  As he rounded a corner of the building, he came face to face with Glenn.  They each fired simultaneously.  The bullet that hit Officer Pott went through his left forearm, richcheted off the badge worn on his left chest, and struck his right hand.  The impact of the bullet caused him to drop his revolver.  Before he dropped his revolver, Officer Pott shot Glenn in the right chest.  Though staggered, Glenn continued across the courtyard between two of the buildings.  Officer Pott went to Officer McCulloch's patrol car and radioed for more help.

Detective Dan Kirner responded to the original call for help.  He arrived in time to see Officer Pott and Eddie Glenn exchange shots.  Kirner fired six shots at Glenn. Officer Arthur Mueller and Project Policeman James Miller also began firing at Glenn.  Glenn fell to the ground and was immediately arrested.

Detectives Vernon Brinkman and George Hydar arrived at the scene.  They found Officer McCulloch lying in an areaway, bleeding from a gunshot would ot th head.  McCulloch was pronounced dead on arrival at City Hospital #1.

Eddie Glenn admitted kidnapping Marilyn Morris and shooting at the police officers.

The thirty-seven year-old McCulloch joined the department on October 31, 1949. In 1950, he resigned from the force to enter the United States Marine Corps during the Korean War.  In 1951 he returned to the Department.

McCulloch joined the Canine Unit in April, 1959.  He was survived by his wife, Anne, and four children.  Anne McCulloch later worked for the department as a secretary.  Also, one of McCulloch's children, Joseph, is now a Sergeant with the Department.


Copyright Inc 2003-2011